We all need a break from our grueling routine but with rising gas prices affecting road trips and airline tickets…only few of us are lucky to take that dream summer vacation. Here are few things that people can do to enjoy their vacations by spending less money:
- Stay in hostels or flatshare – If you do not have problem in sharing a bathroom or a room, you can save a lot of money by choosing to stay in a hostel or a flatshare. You need to search the web and you might find a great share accommodation in suitable location. The idea of flatshare is extremely useful for the people travelling from another country…it give them the time to settle in and get accustomed to their new surroundings.
- Plan your vacation – Planning your vacation in advance can really save you money on your airfares, hotels and rental cars. Once you have decided where you will go… it will make your vacation easier to prepare for. Sometimes we tend to forget when we need to plan for the year ahead but setting reminders for booking for travel plans will help you with advance bookings. The advance planning will help you to start saving money in advance and spend less money at the end.
- Stay away from tourist locations – Being a little adventurous definitely helps in saving money, it pays to do your own research on where to stay outside of tourist areas while making sure that the area is both safe and economical. Tourist locations are always exorbitantly priced…be it hotels, shops or restaurants. By taking off the beaten path and staying out of the normal tourist areas you can save a lot of money.
- Presents – You need not to be worried about bringing back the presents for your friends and relatives. These days you can just buy anything from anywhere…it’s most likely the present you are buying is not even authentic. You should not pay for that overpriced T-shirt, cap or keychain…..if you look at the tag carefully you will find that it was made in China in all probability. Instead bring a digital camera and take along memories with you which are the best souvenirs.
- Search for online deals – You can find great deals through a travel agent, on-line travel portals like Expedia, Travelocity, and Hotels etc. You can find a great package deal for just about every kind of vacation. PS Always buy travel insurance online as you will save the 30% commission which travel agents will charge you.
- Food – Just because you are on a vacation doesn’t mean that you need to go to a restaurant for every meal. ) Eat and drink where the locals are going…you will get to know the intricacies of the local food and culture apart from making new friends which help you to explore the place better.
- Negotiate and Haggle hard – Many of us think that we need to pay what is being asked for but you can always try negotiating a better deal especially during non peak season or during weekdays avoiding weekends. You need to look for a B&B facility…a local hotel is far more likely to offer you a better deal to keep its business going than a large hotel chain.
- Plan vacation during off-season – This is probably the best trick but you might not get the best weather. Peak seasons usually revolve around the best weather of the place but if you plan your vacation on the edges of that high season, you would be able to save great money when the weather is still good.
- Rent a flat – You can find a fully furnished apartment on a weekly basis if you are travelling to a foreign place or a big city…it would help you save big money by avoiding high priced hotels.
- Rent a car or take public transport – By going for an economical car on rent…you will save money on your rental fees and gas in the long run. Even better, you can take public transport which at times actually moves faster than a private transport.
A little planning will definitely help you enjoy your vacation…vacations are all about enjoying and de-stressing yourself. Follow these tips and enjoy your vacations!! Stay connected to our weekly post…a lot more to follow. In our next post we’ll help you save money on your grocery bills.