There are plenty of things to keep you occupied on a rainy day in Melbourne, here are carefully selected best 10 -
1. Federation Square – Head to “Fed Square” on a rainy day to see what’s happening at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI), take a look at magnificent Ian Potter Gallery of Australian Art. In addition, there are number of shops, cafes, bars and restaurants to relax. You can visit the Kirra Galleries for some great gift ideas.
2. Go for a walk in the rain – Nothing beats a walk in the rain if you are interested in understanding the soul of Melbourne. Melbourne’s historic buildings look best in the rain. Stroll through the streets, the bluestone paved lanes look spectacular in the rain giving the whole atmosphere a totally different feel.
3. Enjoy a pub lunch – You can enjoy a leisurely lunch at a Melbourne pub, read a book and play board games in front of open fire. In one of our weekly articles, we will suggest 10 great pubs in Melbourne, chose one to enjoy with your friends who need a room.
4. Go to a museum – A museum is an ideal indoor venue on a rainy day, all Melbourne museums are big enough to occupy you for a day. The Melbourne Museum, Scienceworks and the Immigration Museum are the best and have something to see and do for everyone.
5. Catch a movie – Movie theatres always fill up fast on a rainy day but there are a number of movie theatres around. Those two hours you spend in the theatre would be worth it while seeing that latest romantic comedy with your date.
6. Go skating – Melbourne has two ice-skating rinks – The Icehouse and the Olympic Ice Skating Centre. It is really a good idea to go to ice skating on a rainy day. Though it would be freezing at the rink but it is more practical since you already are rugged up in warm clothes and don’t have to bring extra clothes that are otherwise needed on a warm day. You can even try roller skating at one of the Melbourne’s indoor skating rinks.
7. Ride a tram – If you are on a tight budget, you can ride the City Circle Tram. It can be a good way to get a flavor of Melbourne suburban living, for instance try the route 109 which runs through Collins Street in the city. If you have some extra bucks to spend you could enjoy a meal at one of the restaurants overlooking the bay at the Station Pier terminus.
8. Go to the State Library – A library is what a thinking person would require on a rainy day. State Library of Victoria is situated just opposite Melbourne Central. There you will find numbers of books on various topics, you may find chess section where you can enjoy a game or activity areas for children of all ages. In case you need a room and can’t spend much, this freebie can help you stay dry on a rainy day while you won’t have to spend a dime on recreation.
9. Shop till you drop – Go to a shopping center to enjoy your shopping spree…you will find all the major outlets in almost every mall in Melbourne. You can also search a quirky independent complex across Melbourne for a change.
10. Stay in bed- If you don’t want to go outside then there’s nothing better than curling up warm and cozy on a rainy day. You can stay in bed and read a good book or write a poem.
Keep these options in mind; Melbourne always has plenty of rainy days in store and there are plenty of things to do in Melbourne on such days…in fact, a rainy day may turn out to be one of your most memorable one. More to come next week ….